Wednesday, September 02, 2009

A Walk In The Park: Lizards, Chants and More

Other than the nearly-24 hour travel time to get here, the hardest part of my trips to Asia is getting over the jet lag. After sleeping 12 hours, I woke up at 4am, ready to go!  Lucky for me, one of my favorite things to do in Bangkok is to go for an early-morning walk in Lumphini Park(Named after Buddha's birthplace in Nepal, in case you didn't know.)
Just a few hundred yards from the traffic chaos... lies this peaceful urban oasis:
 
And I immediately headed back to the spot where I last saw an old friend - and he was still there!
He seems to have put on a few pounds since we last saw each other (who hasn't?). I also noticed fewer stray dogs in the park. Coincidence?
The Chinese Chorus
As I was walking thru the park, I found a chorus rehearsing Chinese music. I stopped, sat on a rock and listened for many minutes. It was lovely and relaxing, and I was ready to applaud and thank them. But their song never ended. 
 
Then it occurred to me that it might not be a song, but a chant. Then I thought maybe they are a cult? Maybe it was their way of luring in new members before the mother ship comes? I decided to run before they passed out the Kool Aid.
Some other shots from the park:

No comments: