Amazing! It is not often that you have a unique cultural experience even before entering a country. But that's what happened on my trip to Bhutan.
![]() |
| 'net photo |
![]() |
| 'net photo |
When we arrived in Paro Bhutan, the VIPs were escorted down the stairs, to a waiting red carpet line of dignitaries. I was held at the top of the stairs as people lined up for blessings from the monk and to bow to the woman. So I asked the flight attendant if perhaps they were part of the royal family. "That's our queen," he answered. Turns out, the woman was a wife of the 4th king of Bhutan. And the monk? It is the Je Khenpo, the highest-ranking lama (holy person) in the country - at the same social ranking as the King. Amazing. I had just been smiled at by two of the most-important people in Bhutanese culture, and I hadn't yet even set foot in the country!
Roller Coaster Landing
![]() |
| the one and only runway in Bhutan |
Landing in Bhutan is quite thrilling. The Paro airport (the only one in the country) is surrounded by steep mountain peaks. The pilot appeared to be flying manually the whole time, banking sharply left, then right, skimmed closely over a hill, then dipped quickly into the valley runway. Cool.




No comments:
Post a Comment