A Handsome Welcome
![]() |
| Ugyen (left) and Rinzin |
No tourist may enter Bhutan without a Government-approved invitation and pre-arranged guide, permits and itinerary. I had arranged my travel permits months ahead, so I eagerly looked around for my "keeper." This moment would dictate the tone of my trip: who would I be stuck with for the next week?
While scanning the crowd, I made my first cultural observation: apparently Bhutanese men are handsome. Bonus! And look over there! One of them had my name on his sign. He wrapped a white scarf around my neck to welcome me. "Ugyen" will be my travel companion for the next week? Another bonus! LOL
Within minutes, I was feeling like I was in a dream. This is totally my kind of adventure. The culture, language, architecture, geography is so unique. And yet I have a private car and personal guide to walk me safely through all of it. Perfect.
National Sports
I wanted to test how "free" I would be during this guided tour, so I asked if they would pull over to some sort of roadside sporting event I saw nearby. No problem. This was my first introduction (of many to come) of just how important archery is to Bhutan.
Just as common as a basketball game would be to see on the streets of the US, you will find archery (or hand darts, etc) being played all over Bhutan.
National Sports
I wanted to test how "free" I would be during this guided tour, so I asked if they would pull over to some sort of roadside sporting event I saw nearby. No problem. This was my first introduction (of many to come) of just how important archery is to Bhutan.
Just as common as a basketball game would be to see on the streets of the US, you will find archery (or hand darts, etc) being played all over Bhutan.
The narrow dirt roads remind me of the mountain roads of Costa Rica. And here too, the few cars on the roads must navigate around horses and cows, which seem to be everywhere.
Meditation... now!
Ugyen and the driver Rinzin took me to my hotel, which is actually a resort and meditation center tucked into a hillside. Probably 16 rooms, and at least a dozen staff, but I am the only guest. And get this, from my room I can actually see that national treasure of Bhutan - "Tiger's Nest Monastery" Waaaaaaay up on the mountain across the valley. That temple is the main reason I have come here - and reaching it is my challenge for tomorrow.
Say "Datze"
For lunch I had red chilis with cheese. Not as spicy as I was afraid. It is something of a national food. I kind of like it. Also potatoes with cheese. And a side dish of cheese. Getting the pattern? They like their cheese, I guess.
First Word to Learn: Dzong
Starting with the national museum, which is housed in a 500 year old watchtower. Then on to a massive building (Dzong) that is home to government offices, a religious temple, and a monk school. No separation of church and state here. They are very devout Buddhists, and pattern their laws around their beliefs.
Yak Butter Tea?
By evening, we were at a farmhouse, where I was introduced to butter tea. Yep, melted butter (from a cow or yak, it's up to you), a tea leaf, and a bit of water and salt. Let's just say that it is an acquired taste - one that I do not expect to acquire any time soon. ;-)
Luckily, I had a tasty dinner waiting for me back at the meditation center.
By the way, my idea of meditating was to "reflect" while typing on my iPad.









No comments:
Post a Comment