Thursday, July 07, 2011
Bhutan: Day 2 - Tiger's Nest
This was the day that I have dreamed about. And finally I can see it with my own eyes. It is just across the river now, dangling precariously among the cliffs, at 10,000 feet high. Taktsang Monastery, "Tiger's Nest."
BACKTRACK: I have been planning this day for at least a year. Trekking to one of the world's most mysterious and awe-inspiring locations. But less than two weeks ago, I was hit by a mild heart attack - threatening to cancel this and all other plans for the year. The doctor and friends all recommended that I simply return home, recover, and plan for another day. But something told me that I should push ahead...
GIDDY-UP!
I did make a few concessions. For one, I did tell Ugyen about my health issues, and that I would need to go slow and take frequent breaks. Next thing you know, I have a total of THREE guys and a horse to accompany me up the first half of the trek. Embarrassing, because the three guys were walking beside me, leading the horse, while I was on top of the horse, like a pampered diva.
But it was actually a good thing to be so pampered, as I don't think I would have made it without the horse and frequent breaks. My pulse monitor would spike (175+) frequently, and I'd have to wait until it slowed before continuing. It took more than 3 hours for me to get to the top, much longer than the usual time, I was told later.
GIVING THANKS
But the point is... I made it. I had realized a dream. And today I came with a special task - to give thanks to the people who had helped me to create a very special short film this year. "Viewer Discretion Advised (Tape 96)" is a great little story with an important social message, and I was proud to be involved with the all-volunteer crew. So I had carried the poster all the way up with me today, as it mentioned the names of everyone who had helped. It was my way of "taking them all with me," and thanking them for their contributions. Once inside the temple, I turned prayer wheels and asked the powers-that-be to consider helping our film find a larger audience.
AND RECEIVING BLESSINGS
That was July 7th. When I checked my e-mail the next day, I was informed that our short film had won numerous awards in its debut festival, and was invited to screen at the prestigious San Diego Asian Film Festival in October 2011.
An amazing and powerful experience. Truly a memory of a lifetime.
Location:
Paro, Bhutan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment