Thursday, July 20, 2006

End the trip early? (And my Chinese name)

July 15: Beijing

A sad posting today. My coughing has gotten considerably worse. In fact, many Chinese look at me terrified when I start my whooping cough - as if I might give them SARS, or something. I just can't seem to get rid of it - and the oppressive heat, pollution, omni-present cigarette smokers, etc, certainly isn't helping.

Thus, I am fairly certain that I'll be looking to end my 'round-the-world journey sooner than later. I'm about halfway through my planned 3-month trek, but I just don't think I'll have the energy to go the distance.

And - on a lighter note:
I finally found an English-speaking travel agent who could help me arrange travel out of Beijing. (I have had to extend my time in Beijing by several days, as I just could not find anyone to help me with independent travel.) I'll be leaving tomorrow.

But the agent also helped me discover my "inner Chinese" heritage, and deduced that my actual name in Chinese was "Long Fei." This means "Flying Dragon" - a rather apt name given my temper of late, don't you agree?

No comments: