I am giddy with excitement to actually be sailing on China's Yangtze River. I can't believe it - a dream come true!
Of course, I had a certain amount of tourist-cheating to go through to get here. I wanted a simple "3-star" type of boat - nothing fancy. But the agent said that "Due to government (something), we cannot book 3-star. You'll have to upgrade to 4-star." Blah, blah, blah. Something about "treating myself to luxury" etc etc. So I was convinced to go with the added
luxury. But since I wanted a private room (not wanting to share my cough with a roommate), I then had to pay nearly double the standard rate. But I was content to enjoy some luxury and recuperate in my "4-star" cabin.Turns out, I was the only non-Chinese on my deck - the 30 other foreigners (on a ship of 200 passengers) had all upgraded to "Deluxe 4-star". Long story short... my room turned out to be the "3-star" accommodation that I had originally expected - but at the "4-star" price.
Fengdu - the 39 Hells
The irony of this so-called "Ghost City" is that it once was a very famous temple for dead folk, situated at the top of a very high peak. But now, a protective wall is being built to protect the temple from being flooded. The town surrounding the temple is gone now - demolished by the people who built it. A "Ghost City" indeed!But I toured the temple (along with hundreds of others on the ship's tour group), and discover a gruesome and macabre display of the "39 Hells" that a person may encounter if they do not lead a just life. I grew tired of the speech when I realized I was subject to at least 36 of those 39 hells. But the "Hell of the thousand flag-following tourists" was punishment enough for me!




No comments:
Post a Comment