Monday, June 19, 2006

Beaten with branches in the bath

Sunday, June 18

Today was spent trying to navigate the streets and subways of Moscow. It is really difficult! For example, the guidebooks are mostly written using the English names of the stops. But inside the stations, they are all written in Cyrillic. So, I am listening for a stop that sounds like"Mayakovka" but the signs look a bit more like "MArKobKa." I got lost a few times (once caused a slight panic when I really couldn't figure it out) but it all worked out, and I am doing much better than I expected.

Nothing else too exciting to share, but I forgot to write about an interesting experience that I had a few days ago, back in Suzdal, Russia.



Getting Beaten at The Banya
A "banya" is a traditional Russian bath house. I was able to venture into one, along with several others on our tour of the countryside. We stripped down and wrapped a bed sheet around us, and got inside a super-heated wood sauna. Hot as hell, but relaxing.

Then, we take turns jumping into a full size wooden vat filled with ice-cold water. BRRRRR!!! My heart felt like it was going to stop. (Though I tried not to scream like a 10-year old girl.)

Next, we pummeled each other with fresh twigs of the birch tree. Very unusual, but oddly enjoyable. I did start to smell like tea leaves after a while, however.

Speaking of tea, this whole ritual is culminated with group enjoyment of piping hot tea from a ceremonial samovar, as well as sweet cakes. Lots of giggles were shared about the group beating in the bath house.

No comments: