Thursday, June 08, 2006

The London Eyesore, etc


Wednesday, June 7

I was up at the crack of Noon today. It may not sound like much, but that is 6am in Chicago, or 4am in San Francisco. Jet lag is definitely taking it's toll.

So how can you spot an American on the streets of London? Easy. We are the ones who consistently look the wrong way when about to cross a busy street - and then YELL at the cars that nearly run us over. Luckily, Londoners have grown tired of scraping tourists off their windscreens, and painted words directly on street crossing, advising us to "Look left" or Look Right." Still, it's a hard habit to break.

Such a typical tourist I was today. A cruise down the River Thames, stroll around the London Tower, Westminster Bridge, etc. I stopped by Buckingham Palace to see if the Queen fancied a spot of tea (you, know... one old queen to another), but apparently she was not receiving visitors on this particular day.

I did, however, enjoy a pint of ale at the nearly 500-year old Anchor Tavern, which was reputed to be a drinking spot for Shakespeare and his actors - as his original Globe Theater was located right next door.

The "London Eye" (or "Eyesore" as some locals refer to it) is new since my last visit, so I thought I'd check it out. I mean, where else can you ride a 400-ft tall ferris wheel with views of such importance? But the ticket price - almost $60 US was a little too thrilling for my taste. (FYI: I do happen to have a link to a video of 5 or 6 very hunky male models who went on the Eye recently - and then stripped down to their birthday suits - if anyone is seeing such a shameless thing.) Now, if I knew that naked hunks were guaranteed on every ride, then maybe it would be worth the $60!!!

No comments: