Friday, June 9
Now sporting eye bags that are large enough to carry groceries, I somehow managed to get my racoon-looking self out to the street at 4am. A $30 taxi ride took me the few miles to Paddington Station for the ($35) Express train to Heathrow, just in time to get through airport security. (Note: being cattle-prodded seems somehow more civilized when being done by those with British accents) And then on to my flight into Scandinavia.
Stockholm was just a transfer point, but from the air it is just as green and beautiful as I recall from my trip there in 1988. During that visit, we were invited to the hall where they hand out the Nobel Peace Prize - but on our visit they only handed out ham sandwiches.
Then on to St. Petersburg, Russia.
I really cannot believe I am here...RUSSIA!!!!
Technically I am not a tourist, but a guest. (As are all visitors to Russia.) In order to obtain my Russian visa (some months in advance) I was to first secure an "invitation" from someone within the country. Of course if you book a hotel room, then that hotel is more than happy to "invite" you to come visit. I then took that letter of invitation to have it authorized at the Russian Embassy - and had my background checked - before I was given the actual visa. Once here in the country and at the hotel, my passport was taken to the local police to be registered. I feel important to be such an honored guest!
My inititial observations are pretty much what I expected, so far: sprawling, drab and rather hectic. I did just enjoy my first-ever trip in a Russian-made Volga auto. Once we got it started (after several attempts) the trick was to keep it running during traffic stops, etc.
But bear in mind that these sarcastic first impressions are from a guy who has not slept in two days. So, I will leave this entry here... and wake up tomorrow with (hopefully literally) fresh eyes!
Regardless, I truly am thrilled to be in Russia!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment