Tuesday, June 13
I'm about to leave St Petersburg, so I wanted to share some quick observations (nothing too boring, I hope!)
People of Color:
Everyone here seems to look like me - meaning white. I have seen only ONE Asian who appeared to live here. I have also see only two black people, and - get this - they were both working at the entrance of the "Chocolate Museum." That is not a joke (nor do I think it to be funny.) Just consider it social commentary...
Forced Military Service
All boys here are forced to join the military for two years, as soon as they turn 18. Which means that virtually every Russian man is in his prime physical condition at age 20. Looking around, it shows. Not a single case of childhood obesity. Now, take a look around the fat kids of your city (for my American friends). Another social commentary...
Speaking of soldiers... and communism
My soldier friend, Nikolay, was in the Soviet army when, he says, "I went to sleep one night in Leningrad, and woke up the next morning in St. Petersburg." But the fall of communism has not made everyone happy. I think I'll just stop right there. It is not wise to go too far with social commentary while still in the Soviet U.... Oooops, I mean Russia!
The 900-day Seige
Walking around this town, you can still see damage from the shelling by the Germans during a nearly 3-year seige in 1941-1944. During the 900-day blockade, citizens were literally starved to death or died of diseases. They resorted to whatever they could to stay alive - eating leather belts, stray dogs - even human corpses. I think about stuff like that while I'm eating in the front window of a restaurant, and I see some 70 year old woman walk by and look at me a little too long. Was she mad at me for not knowing their suffering back then? Perhaps I should not think so much...
No old age:
The average life expectancy for women here is 72, but most men die by age 60!
More later...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment